Sunday, 18 October 2015

The Book of Hallowe'en

I don't know 'bout you but in this digital world I'm slowly starting to find myself longing for old fashioned paper books. Now, I'll be honest with you, I don't read as much as I used to. But I have found a few books recently that I'd love to get hard copies of. While local bookstores here do offer a fairly sizeable offering in English it's not like cruising through a Chapters, Barnes & Noble, or my personal favourite, Waterstones.

And it's not just big retail book shops I miss perusing it's also the good old fashioned library...particularly an academic library. I used to love to cruise through the bookshelves of my university libraries. Randomly pulling out books to see what they offered I always found the folklore section fascinating. Great inspiration around the holidays as I could always find some old tome from the late 19th or early 20th C that explored the "old ways" and supernatural beliefs of various groups.  So that's why I love Project Gutenberg.

Sure, it's not quite the same as finding yourself alone in a disused section of a library. And it certainly doesn't offer up that unique smell that comes only from the pages of a book that's been around for a century but, it does offer up much in the way of inspiration!
 
You can listen to this libravox recording...


Or you can get your own digital copy from Project Gutenberg here.

2 comments:

Rook Wilder said...

I'm in your camp. I love hardcopy. I was mocked at work the other day by my co-worker because I actually use the library to get books to read. I'm old fashioned that way.

P.E. Cor said...

Rock on!