Friday, 15 May 2015

Mystery Feature #5 - Snoop Sisters

As a kid, back in the 70s, I loved NBC's Mystery Movie of the Week. Originally it was only McCloud, Columbo and McMillan and Wife. Nothing would send me rocketing into the living room like the sound of that whistling intro. Of course it was so much more exciting when it ended with "Tonight starring Rock Hudson and Susan St. James as McMillan and Wife" -- my favourite!



Over time they introduced others mystery solvers like Banacek, Quincy (which got spun off on its own) and my other fave, even if short lived, The Snoop Sisters starring Mildred Natwick and Helen Hayes.


It was inspired (according to Silver Scenes) by the two's pairing in a made for tv movie Do Not Fold, Spindle or Mutilate. Which still offers some retro viewing fun although the villain is not very believable and the music is horrid! But you can certainly see the chemistry between Helen and Mildred.

Now, I don't remember much about the plots of the Snoop Sisters but I do remember loving these older ladies who, unlike my own grandmother, had social lives and didn't spend their time playing solitaire, house cleaning, or petting the their aging, crabby cat. (I loved my Nanny, don't get me wrong.) There was a lot of recasting of the supporting cast after the initial pilot although why the hell they recast Art Carney I do not know!

And now a question. If the Snoop sisters were to be resurrected today who would you cast?

Helen Murrin and Dame Judy Dench...or Maggie Smith? Too Miss Marple?

Of course, they don't necessarily have to be sisters. The Snoop Sisters could be the name they publish their mysteries under...cause they'd still have to be murder mystery writers, right?

Unfortunately, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda are already in a new series so not them. But I think Susan Sullivan paired with Mimi Kennedy (the Mom's in Dharma and Greg) would be fun! Casting Carrie Fisher and Sally Field might also be fun...in a different kind of way.

Susan Sullivan and Mimi Kennedy - New Snoop Sisters?

It certainly seems like the timing is right. You know, as the Baby Boom generation bulges at the other end of the life expectancy graph? Hollywood is definitely ripe for the picking when it comes to ladies over 60.

There's Jessica Walter, Candace Bergen, Diane Keaton, Whoopi Goldberg, Susan Sarandon, Ellen Burstyn, Rita Moreno, Glenn Close, Diahann Caroll, Isabella Rossilini, Alfre Woodard, Amy Irving, Tippi Hedren, Phylicia Rashad, Meryl Streep, Sissy Spacek, Sigourney Weaver. Ellen Barkin, etc. And many I'm sure I haven't even thought of.

Who would you pair?

0 comments: