Thursday, 15 January 2015

Mystery Feature #1 - Agatha Christie

I'm staring a new monthly feature here at Halloween Holler. I've been thinking about it for a while now. I want to focus on mystery; all sorts of mystery. Murder mysteries, strange coincidence mysteries, disappearance mysteries, "what-the-hell-was-that...?!" mysteries. All those unsettling, odd, and strange events and people that I used to spend so much time reading about in Ripley's Believe it or Not. And, later, watching on the X-Files.

Source
I'm staring off with a double header of sorts; both a mysterious disappearance and a murder mystery. I begin with Agatha Christie.

The 39th anniversary of Christie's death was just a few days ago and, well, I'm an old fan. You see, I first discovered Agatha Christie at about age 12. I gobbled up one book after the other and when I ran out of what our school library had to offer a good friend would loan me hers.

Later in life I became more interested in the writer rather than her books. I admired Christie's professional discipline (and output). I was also particularly fascinated by Christie's mysterious disappearance in 1926. Was she doing research for a book? Was she depressed about her cheating husband? Was it the grief she experienced following her mother's death that made her leave? Did she really suffer 'out-of-body' amnesia? Or was she just trying to disappear from a life that was overwhelming but was found before she could finalize her plan?

There have certainly been times in my life when I've wished to 'disappear' from it. Oh, Agatha. I wished you'd started a fund for us Women who wish to Disappear for a bit. It could have included a week long stay in your room at that spa hotel! Sigh.

Quickly moving on we now turn to [dah, dah, dahhhh]...June Whitfield in Agatha Christie's Sleeping Murder (via the Internet Archive).

The book features Miss Marple. It was the last Christie novel, published posthumously, although not the last one Christie wrote featuring Miss Marple. The story is set in the 1930s, though written during the Second World War. She aids a young couple who choose to uncover events in the wife's past life, and not let sleeping murder lie. - Wikipedia

0 comments:

Post a Comment