Saturday, 18 October 2014

Strange doodles and empires...

I have been sick with a cold this week and had to dedicate an entire day to sitting on the couch. Ah, yeah, I really had to! So, of course, I used that time to catch up on some tv (see below) and do a bit of doodling. I'm not sure if this would be considered a zentangle or doodle but this is the result.

Skull in web by me
Now, in terms of tv, well, let's see. First, I finally got around to watching the final two episodes of The Leftovers. I have to say I was having a tough time with this one. It was incredibly compelling but also just a wee bit of a downer. I'm glad I stuck to it though because those last two episodes made me very keen to see the next season. Click here and here for reviews.

The rest of the afternoon's viewing was not relevant to the season so I'll skip it. And no, I have not yet seen the new American Horror Story. I'm saving that. But I did see something that I think is worth mentioning.

It's not a horror...well, unless you consider human trafficking/sex slavery in 1870s Alberta horror...which, of course, it is, but you know what I mean. The 'genre' is not horror it's a western. Set in 1869 Alberta, the show focuses on three women--a M├ętis cowgirl, a madame and a doctor--who are all dealing with tragedy while fighting for independence, justice and survival.

As a fan of Deadwood, well, I was interested. And after watching the first episode of Strange Empire (great name!) I thought you might be too.

video

This is the edgiest show I have ever seen on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). CBC is usually full of safe, middle-of-the-road, family oriented, kind of story telling but this is NOT that.

Admittedly it's not perfect. The first episode attempts to set up a lot of story so at times the cuts from one scene to another are disorienting, almost dreamlike. Which I found kind of intriguing. But it's the promise of ghosts and spiritualists in the scene above that makes me mention it here. I'm really hoping this idea is a featured story line. I have hope because of what series creator, Laurie Finstad-Knizhnik, said in a recent interview about the show.

"There was also the Spiritualist movement at that point which was 10 million strong. People believed in ghosts and devils and they were losing children and wives and husbands to terrible, terrible accidents. And the telegraph went through, kind of like the internet actually, the way I was looking at it. The telegraph went all the way across the country and people believed that that wire opened a door to the other world and that to me was absolutely fascinating..."  Laurie Finstad-Knizhnik.

Listen to more from this interview with Finstad-Knizhnik and actress, Cara Gee, here. And for a review that's not by the CBC (who might be biased) go here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment