Saturday, 4 October 2014

I see pumpkins!

You don't see much related to Fall or Halloween here. The weather is not the same at all. It's true the temperatures are getting cooler but that means that after sundown the temps are about 30C (86 degrees Fahrenheit) instead of the 40C of summer. The cooler weather also means the plants are less stressed and are beginning to get a bit lusher. By December everything will be growing like crazy and I'll have to get out the pruning sheers. It's more like Spring than Fall.

Still, by the end of October the evening temps will be good for trick or treating. It will be quite comfortable for walking door to door (not too much sweating) AND you never have to worry that your Mom will make you hide your costume under a heavy winter coat!

Obviously there isn't a Halloween tradition here so there isn't too much in the way of decorations in the Malls or spooky things to buy -- though you can usually depend on a few grocery stores to bring in pumpkins from the UK or US.

Hey, pumpkins!
Yesterday I was overjoyed to see these orange guys at Mega Mart (where they specialize in imported foods and cater to the tastes of various expat groups).

Well travelled pumpkins tend to be a bit pricey, however. These were 25QR per kilogram which is about $8.00 Canadian per kg and there are 2.2 pounds in a kilogram so...well, let's just say these guys run from $30 to $50 each depending on weight. 

We contented ourselves with two small mini pumpkins -- one white and one orange -- for a total of about $7.00 Canadian. (What I usually end up carving into our jack o'lantern is the far less expensive red pumpkins from India.)

Grab a couple, would ya?




They also had these little critters on offer...

Pumpkin pals


8 comments:

Mark Faucett said...

I guess we take our pumpkin availability for granted...

P.E. Cor said...

And when I'm back in Canada that first Halloween is going to be like being a kid again!

halloween spirit said...

I could use some 30C temperatures right now. Our weather has taken a wet and chilly downturn.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Hey...I"ve looked around on your blog, and maybe I'm just completely missing it, but where are you located that Halloween is not really celebrated much? I thought you were in England, but now I'm not sure. Are you in Canada? Gosh, I'd be so bummed if we lived where they didn't celebrate Hallowe'en or at least Samhain, ha!

P.E. Cor said...

I'm living in the Arabian Gulf. And I miss Autumn! Even a damp and chilly one would be nice. All my cozy, warm sweaters muffled up in a storage container, sigh.

P.E. Cor said...

I will try and send some sunshine and dry warm air to your neighbourhood, Halloween Spirit :)

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Oh wow...I guess you really are missing you some Autumn where you are then! I can empathize though, cause in Florida it usually doesn't feel like autumn until maybe January, and it never feels like a real Winter. Lucky for me I'm pretty cold-natured, so I do feel cold in low 70's and 60's. Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking and placebo effect on my part...not sure! :o)

P.E. Cor said...

We do get chilly nights in December and January. In the desert proper the temp can dip to 10C (50 Farenheit) after the sun goes down. A run of cold nights means our accommodations (constructed of cinder block and tile) cool right down sometimes making a small space heater necessary. One year we had two going! Can't wait :)