Saturday, 13 September 2014

Stonehenge! Where the demons dwell...

...Where the banshees live and they do live well
Stonehenge! Where a man's a man
And the children dance to the Pipes of Pan

Ok, you probably have heard all the news re: Stonehenge. Big discoveries made over the last four years during an extensive survey using high resolution radar, magnetic and laser scans. All in all it's beginning to look as if Stonehenge wasn't some isolated, rarely visited place on Solsbury Plain.

When I visited back in 2010, I remember being quite surprised by just how alone it is in the landscape out there. It's bracketed by a couple of highways but other than that there's nothing around but sheep. Which didn't really make much sense to me. A couple of years later and my husband and I ended up watching this great series, A History of Ancient Britain. In one of the episodes, Age of Cosmology, the presenter, Neil Oliver, explains an interesting theory. What if all those ancient stone circles were connected? Through common ritual? What if similar things were going on in all these places but with Stonehenge being the epicenter of what might be a very complex belief system. The episode was fascinating!

Stonehenge, April 2010
So, I'm pretty excited about it all. And I will definitely find a way to tune in to the upcoming October episode of The Nature of Things where David Suzuki will be explaining all.

But, I also have to admit that it's the mention of buried grave goods, including gold, that's got me really excited! Come on, gravegoods from the Neolithic period? That is gonna be some interesting stuff!

You can read more about it here and here and here and here and here.

Oh, and some funny stuff from Mr. Izzard...



2 comments:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Just read an article about this yesterday in fact, and I too found it fascinating! Cannot wait to see what undiscovered mysteries they dig up!

P.E. Cor said...

I know, right? Those grave goods might offer more answers to how the place was used. And gold, well, gold is always pretty.