Thursday, 4 September 2014

Conspiracy abounds in 'Utopia'...

...and so too does the violence. In fact episode #3 in Series 1 of this BBC production caused quite a bit of controversy back in January of 2013. Admittedly, it was that very same episode that made me wonder if I had the stomach for this fast paced, stylish, well acted, intriguing but disturbing story. It turned out I did.

And then, after going on and on about it to my husband last year (..."it's kinda violent but the story is really good and really makes you think...") he turned to me one recent evening and said, "I read about this interesting new series called Utopia."

Really. Ain't it Cool News or Gizmodo, or whatever site he came across it, holds more sway with him than me...? Hmph.

However, I found myself watching it all over again. This time with him and, admittedly, with my head turned away at times, but at least we're now BOTH ready for Series 2. And watching it together means there's someone who can tell me when it's safe to turn back to the screen -- should the need arise.

 

Given the panic that ensues each time another virus rears its ugly head to threaten our species and make us all wonder if this is it -- the next pandemic -- well, it's easy to see the genesis of stories like Utopia.

2 comments:

Mantan Calaveras said...

I haven't seen this, but have you seen Charlie Brooker's "Black Mirror"? It's some of the best television storytelling I've seen, very much in the vein of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone.

P.E. Cor said...

I did see the first episode of Series 1. Although I couldn't stop watching it (Rory Kinnear was amazing) by the end I found myself not particularly interested in seeing any more episodes. Probably because the plot of that first one was just so devastating! But maybe I should give it another try :)