Monday, 5 May 2014

Penny Dreadful - NOT cheap sensational fiction

Source: Wikipedia
A penny dreadful (also called penny horrible, penny awful,[1] penny number, and penny blood[n 1]) was a type of British fiction publication in the 19th century that usually featured lurid serial stories appearing in parts over a number of weeks, each part costing one (old) penny. The term, however, soon came to encompass a variety of publications that featured cheap sensational fiction, such as story papers and booklet "libraries". The penny dreadfuls were printed on cheap pulp paper and were aimed primarily at working class adolescents.[3]




Anyone see the first episode of Penny Dreadful (on Youtube)? I wasn't holding out high hopes BUT five minutes in I knew I was watching something far more compelling than every Dracula episode I made myself watch.

And I love Eva Green. AND Timothy Dalton. And what a different role for Josh Hartnett, right?

SPOILER FREE Review at io9 here.



SPOILER ALERT below...



SPOILER coming....



My only concern is the inclusion of the Victor and his Monster. But I do have a few theories about the Monster's identity that could make things very interesting...maybe even sensational.

0 comments:

Post a Comment