Sunday, 11 May 2014

O Fortuna!

Aiiiyyye! Tonight we're off to see the Philharmonic Orchestra perform Carmina Burana AND The Planets!! I'm vibrating with excitement -- no, really -- I may just levitate out of my seat!



O Fortune, 
like the moon you are changeable, 
ever waxing and waning; 
hateful life 
first oppresses 
and then soothes 
as the sharp mind takes it; 
poverty and power 
it melts them like ice. 

 Fate – 
monstrous and empty, 
you whirling wheel, 
you are malevolent, 
well-being is vain 
and always fades to nothing, 
shadowed and veiled 
you plague me too; 
now through the game 
I bring my bare back 
to your villainy. 

 Fate is against me 
in health and virtue, 
driven on and weighted down, 
always enslaved. 
So at this hour 
without delay 
pluck the vibrating strings; 
since Fate strikes down 
the strong man, 
everyone weep with me!

0 comments: