Thursday, 23 January 2014

Digging for Treasure on Oak Island...again

Yeah, it's true. I am one of the many people who got hooked on unsolved mysteries when I was a kid. It started when I began reading every copy of Ripley's Believe it or Not I could get my grubby paws on. And I do believe it was in one of those books that I first read about the Money Pit on Oak Island, Nova Scotia.

Over the years I'd check in on the latest news but I think I gave up on the Money Pit mystery as unsolvable about 10 years ago. Flooded with sea water I doubted anybody would ever be able to safely get into those shafts again. But recently, while watching Richard Hammond and the Holy Grail I was reminded of Oak Island through its link to that legend. And that got me wondering if there was anything new regarding this unsolved mystery. And there was.

The Curse of Oak Island is a recent reality tv series focusing on the efforts by two brothers, Rick and Marty Lagina, who want to solve the mystery of Oak Island once and for all (so they say). I'm not usually one for reality tv but I am interested in this one. Even if some of the dramatic tension is obviously contrived; the mysterious loss of an hour of underwater digital recording in the 10x shaft is attributed to the Oak Island curse. Right. Or that the curse demands the deaths of 7 people before the secret will be revealed and the number currently stands at six. Hmmm....

But in my recent googling I also came across other theories about the Money Pit. The most intriguing, simply because it is so completely outside the box of the usual secret society and pirates, has been put forward by Sukhwant Singh. He believes it "is a vertically stranded Viking Ship of type Skeid, stranded there on Oak Island for the last 1000 years." (Source) This theory does not take into account everything but, like all good mysteries, the fun is in the search for answers. Finding definitive proof and excavating the hell out of the site would only spoil that fun.

Interesting to note too is that the Lagina Brothers now own a controlling interest in the island under the name Oak Island Tours Inc. (Source) But, skepticism aside, I'll definitely keep watching.

0 comments:

Post a Comment