Sunday, 3 November 2013

The hazards of tin can luminaries

Boo - before it caught fire
I made these two tin can luminaries last year and had no problem with them. This year they both caught fire at about hour 3! The only thing different I did was add some touch ups to the paint. I used the same can of spray paint I used last year but maybe that was the problem. While trying to get the last of the paint out of the can I did notice there were flying bits of something, looked a bit like spun glue (if you've ever seen that form of cobweb making), coming out with the paint. Anywho, luckily the trick or treat part of the evening was over so there were no kids around when I was alerted to the situation by the distinct smell of something not right. I was able to get things under control with the help of my husband but there were a tense few minutes. The cans are now in the trash.
Eek - what I said when I saw the flames!

On the plus side we had more trick or treaters this year than we have had in the past. I think because there are more families with young children living on our compound which made it more fun! And despite the recent surgery I was feeling well enough to don some makeup and hand out candy (Jollyranchers were the most popular). It was a good Halloween night!


halloween spirit said...

Scary! Glad there was no serious damage.

P.E. Cor said...

Thanks, me too! I will have to figure out a safer alternative for next year. Pumpkins or even turnips are safer but both are rare and expensive here ($50 for an average sized pumpkin).