Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Halloween Memories

Standing in the kitchen while someone wrestles a costume on to me. Wandering dark streets with a mask I can barely see through. The pillow case that keeps tripping me up. And the sound of my brother`s spooky sound effects record seeping through the window of our downstairs den.

That`s what most of my earliest Halloween memories are like. Fragmented. They come to my mind like a series of old family snap shots. And so, I really appreciate it when someone is able to help bring back some of the moments I`ve misplaced along the way. Case in point, that Gerry Seinfeld Halloween routine.

Remember that rubber band on the back of that mask? That was a quality item, wasn't it?
That was good for about 10 seconds before it snapped out of that cheap little staple they put it in there with.
You go to your first house, "Trick or..." snap! "it broke! I don't believe it!"
"Wait up you guys, I gotta fix it!"...
The rubber band keeps breaking. It keeps getting shorter. Fixing it and it's getting tighter and tighter on my face. You know when it starts slicing into your eyeballs there and you're trying to breath through that little hole...getting all sweaty.
"I can't see! I can't breathe!"...
About a half hour into it you take that mask off, "Aw, to hell with it!"
Bing, bong! 
"Yeah, it's me. Give me the candy."

I almost fell out of my chair the first time I heard that! If you want to hear a few more stories that might transport you back to a long ago time listen to the Halloween episode of CBCs Vinyl Cafe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment