Friday, 28 June 2013

Witch on a flying table

Barlach's adaptation of Goethe's Walpurgisnacht scene
I really like woodcuts. Probably for the same reason I like lino cuts and why I doodle things with lots of lines. When I did my first lino cut tho I was less than impressed with the results. What I didn't realize is that you shouldn't really leave a lot of blank (uncarved) space in a cut because it just becomes a big blob of colour, when you print it, with no interesting details or texture.

Ok, enough of the art lesson and on to what you see to the left. This here is one of a series of woodcuts by Ernst Barlach, made back in the 1920s, to illustrate Goethe's Walpurgisnacht (Halloween) scene in Faust. I had no idea there was a Halloween scene in Faust! I'm not particularly familiar with the play except that it's a story about some guy who makes a deal with the Devil.

There are several woodcuts illustrating this scene but this is my favourite! It's a witch riding a flying table to, presumably, a Sabat on Halloween night. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment