Saturday, 20 April 2013

The Three Ravens

The Three Ravens by Walter Crane c. 1900
Like many of you, I suspect, I have a fascination with crows and ravens. Where we live in Canada there is no shortage of them and I miss hearing their distinct "kaaaaw, kaaaaw."  I don't think I'd ever seen a raven though until I went to The Tower of London where, as part of the tour, you are introduced to its winged residents. And you are told, by the Master Raven Keeper, that as long as ravens remain at The Tower there will be a monarch on England's throne.

Segue several years later to an episode of Simon Schama's, A History of Britain, called The Body of the Queen. While watching this compelling episode about the Queens Mary and  Elizabeth, I heard a song in the soundtrack that had me rewinding repeatedly to hear it again. I later learned  it was a traditional ballad called The Three Ravens. And while I've since heard other versions, nothing beats this eerily haunting rendition by John Harle sung by Sarah Leonard (although Sonne Hagal's version is a close second).


So before it disappears have a listen...

0 comments: