Thursday, 25 October 2012

My Death's Head project

I take a lot of photos of cemeteries and headstones. I am fascinated with the iconography of death. I think it all started back in elementary school during a history lesson about "the black death" or "the plague." Our teacher used a lot of illustrations in her lessons and I was fascinated with the images she showed us of skeletons cavorting through medieval towns around piles of corpses. From there I guess it was all just a natural progression to the cemetery.

Of all the various symbols and signs used on headstones one of my favourites is the Death's Head. There's just something about it...especially the ones with wings. So it's probably not surprising, given the time of year, etc., to find myself doodling this while watching tv the other night. I'm trying to figure out how to use the design for a felt pillow.

My winged Death's Head

0 comments: